Kenwood TS-590SG

Shack to Tower

Shack

The KG2S ham shack consists of a Kenwood TS-590SG, a MC-60 microphone, and a Bencher keyer. I also have an Ameritron AL-80B amplifier for 160-Meter through 10-Meter operation. Out to the tower, I use an Ameritron RCS-4 remote antenna switch for my MF/HF antennas. For feedlines, I use LMR 400 out to the remote switchbox and a second LMR-400 feedline for the 6-Meter yagi. In addition to my HF gear, I have a Uniden BCD535HP digital scanner fed with LMR400 to a Discone antenna.

For a panadapter display, I use a SDRPlay RSP1 Software Defined Radio hooked to my shack desktop PC. I control much of the shack activity with a homebrew desktop PC. Under the hood of the PC is a Gigabyte motherboard, 7th generation Intel i5, 32GB of RAM, and a 512GB SSD hard drive. For the displays, I have two 24 inch dual monitors. Having dual monitors is really useful for Ham Radio software (N3FJP Amateur Contact Log, VE7CC CC User, WSJT-X, JTAlert, fldigi, HDSDR, and others).

Tennadyne

At the top of the tower, I have a 15 foot Chromoly Steel Mast that is rotated by a Yaesu G-800DXA rotor. The mast is supported in the tower by a US Tower Thrust Bearing for stability. The first antenna on the mast is the Tennadyne T-6 Log Periodic. This is a 12 foot dual boom antenna that is resonant from 14 MHz to 28 MHz. While it doesn't have the gain of yagi, it does offer a flat VSWR across the amateur bands from 20 through 10-Meters. TX455

Cushcraft D40

Above the T-6 is my Cushcraft D40 Rotatable Dipole. I purchased this 40-Meter dipole from another ham on Ebay. When the box arrived, the antenna truly needed some TLC. I spent a couple of months removing and replacing antenna components. The capacitance hats were the biggest challenge and I ended up using pipe clamps to secure these parts. The graphic below shows the three antennas on the mast include the T-6, D40, and the 5 element 6-Meter yagi at the top. Top of the Tower

Balun

In June, I had the tower cranked down for maintenance. The goal of this job was to fix the 40-Meter dipole and stop it from spinning in the wind. While it was down, I took the time to replace the coaxial cable up the tower as well as replace the coax balun. The original balun was wound around a thin piece of plastic that was disintegrating from exposure to the sun. As you can see in the graphic below, I wound a new balun on PVC and secured it to the mast. In case you were wondering, this antenna is awesome. Balun

Tower Shot

In addition to the antennas at the top of the tower, I also have two homebrew wire antennas. Wire antennas aren't too photogenic, so I thought a full size picture of the tower would do. Using the tower as the center, I have a 160/80-Meter full-sized fan dipole tied together with a Balun Designs 1116det at the center of the antenna. This balun is optimize for low frequencies. I also have a 30-Meter Delta Loop that sits between the tower and the White Pine shown in the graphic below. The loop is triangle shaped and is fed at the corner closest to the tower. Tower Shot

If you have any questions about my antenna farm, please contact me. I will gladly share my experiences.